The Groomer provides care, grooming and basic needs to patients who are being groomed, boarded, or who are patients of Intermountain Pet Hospital. The Groomer reports to the Lodge Team Leader.
Minimum age requirement is 16 years old.
Education and Licensure Requirements
- High school diploma or in the processes of attaining.
Previous grooming experience desired but not required.
- Apply knowledge and skills in controlling and/or handling individual animal temperament.
- Ability to gain animal confidence when restraining them for grooming.
- Knowledge of grooming practices for a wide range of small animal breeds including hand-scissoring skills.
- Ability to place a dog on a grooming table.
- Knowledge of spelling and meaning of commonly used veterinary terminology in order to accurately enter specific information onto patient records.
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks as well as to accept direction on given assignments. Understand and carry out oral and written direction
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing client and personal services. This includes meeting quality standards for serves, and evaluation of client satisfaction.
- Genuinely enjoys working with animals and is able to deal with them even when they are stressed, ill or in pain.
- Can work unaffected in an environment where dogs are barking.
- Physical Effort: Frequently required to bend, stand, stoop, stretch, walk, sit, talk and listen frequently working in a bent position. Frequently use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel: will reach with hands and arms. Use strength or agility in capturing and restraining stronger, more active animals. Frequently lift and/or move up to 40lbs. Occasionally handle dogs weighing up to and over 150lbs. Assistance will be provided by animal handlers when working with larger animals.
- Working conditions: May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches and contagious diseases. Work is normally performed indoors. Some outside work may be required at times. Standing and walking on cement or tiled floors.
The wage for this position is 55% of income produced plus tips. Specific terms outlined in groomer agreement.
- Observe patient appearance and activity for general physical condition, obvious signs of illness, disease and discontent.
- Take charge of and handle patients as required. Restrain hard to control animals.
- Admit pets to be groomed noting owner’s specific instructions and pick up time. Ascertain what veterinary services are required to be completed. In accordance with hospital operating instructions, determine care required in agreement with the individual needs and circumstances of animals.
- Perform grooming services, including brush, clipping, hand scissoring, trims and shapes to groom dogs using knowledge of canine characteristic, grooming techniques, styles and owners instructions.
- Provide care for patients housed in the grooming facility. Perform work according to established methods specified in hospital procedure manual or following special instructions. Report signs of illness, disease, injury or unusual activity to veterinary technicians or veterinarians or Lodge Team Leader.
- Ensures each animal in the grooming facility is identified with a proper cage card.
- Perform all general maintenance of grooming room. Clean and disinfect cages, tubs, grooming tables and all other surfaces to maintain cleanliness standards.
- Exhibit a technical knowledge of products and medications sold, including dietary products. Demonstrate the ability to explain and educate clients on products and answer their questions regarding product purchase and use.
- Ability to work with chemicals when performing medicated baths and dips. Knowledge of OSHA requirements when handling hazardous chemicals.
- Work well with all team members and ensure that your actions support the hospital and lodge, the doctors and the practice philosophy.
- Works to build relationships with each client and to create a unique experience with the goal to always go above and beyond our client’s expectations.
- Handles client complaints professionally with a goal to resolve each one and make it a positive experience for each client.
If you've got what it takes to be an amazing groomer, apply today.