Spring is here, and with it comes a whole plethora of gorgeous new blooms and foliage. There's nothing quite as refreshing as taking your pet for a stroll and enjoying the fresh scents of flowers and plants. Before you head out with your trimmers or visit the local rose garden, however, you need to know which kinds of plants can be dangerous to your pet, especially if they have an allergy to a common spring bloom.
A surprising number of flowers and foliage can pose a threat to your pet's health. As a loving owner, you should know which plants to keep your pets away from. Be aware of how to spot a plant that could harm your pet by quickly identifing the top offenders. You should also keep in mind that fertilizers, plant food, and lawn chemicals are potentially harmful as well. When doing your lawn care and planning your landscaping, keep your pet's well-being in mind.
Harmful and Poisonous Plants for Dogs
Right now, bulbs are starting to show their little heads (especially after the winter we've had). Tulips, hyacinths, daffodils, and Narcissus look lovely, but they can all be very dangerous to dogs, particularly the skin that coats their bulbs. If your dogs dig up or snack on some of these bulbs, they may show signs of stomach problems like vomiting or diarrhea. If they ingest a significant amount of bulbs, they might act erratically with increased heart and respiratory rates or even cardiac arrhythmias.
It's also important to note that organic fertilizers can create problems for dog owners. Organic fertilizers are often made of bones or feather meal, the smell of which may intrigue your dog. Although they aren't dangerous in themselves, they can tempt dogs to eat a bulb that could harm them.
Harmful and Poisonous Plants for Cats
Several types of lillies are a common and welcome sight in springtime. Unfortunately, they're highly toxic to cats. For example, the pollen, stems, and leaves of tiger lillies can cause kidney failure in your cat. Tiger lilies are so poisonous that even the water they're put in can cause serious issues for your feline companion. A cat with lily poisoning may have symptoms like lethargy, diarrhea, vomiting, and seizures.
Spring crocus plants can also be dangerous to cats, causing kidney failure and severe cardiac arrhythmias.
Keep Your Pet Safe
If you're concerned that your pet may have ingested a poisonous plant, be sure to call your vet right away. We can help you determine the best course of action and immediately provide assistance. As always, contact us with any questions regarding your pet's health and wellbeing.